The waning gibbous Moon is high in the southern sky before dawn; The Moon will be at third quarter on the 12th, traveling eastward and a bit lower each morning, it will be a waning crescent from the 13th through the 19th.
The Moon will occult the star Regulus before sunrise on Oct. 15th.
For a map and timing of the occultation for your location, click this link.
Venus and Mars continue to appear close together, low in the eastern predawn sky. The Moon will appear very close to Mars on the morning of Oct. 17th.
On October 14th, asteroid 2012 TC14 will pass by the Earth at 0.13 Lunar Distances - that's WELL inside Earth's geosynchronous satellite ring; the asteroid is estimated to be 8-26 meters in diameter. Earth's gravity will bend the orbit of the asteroid as it passes by.
There are currently no sunspots visible from Earth, but the coronal hole that has been hanging around for the last couple weeks, now appears to have formed an island!
Each year, NASA's Goddard Space Flight Center creates a Solar Dynamics Observatory "best of" video, and the year 6 video is spectacular! I made the following comment to the video on YouTube: "I have never seen a better video showing the fluid-dynamic nature of the Sun's differential rotation. It's really neat to see the ">>>" patterns form (and the things IN them) as the Sun rotates. This will be included as part of my Sun lecture."
Uranus is high in the eastern sky a few hours after sunset; at the recent Astronomy at the Beach event in Michigan, a young girl commented that Uranus was the coolest thing she saw that evening!
The Inner Solar System
Apps used for this post:
In the Sky This Week
Weekly post on what you can see in the sky.
- In the Sky This Week – July 11, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – July 18, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – July 25, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – August 1, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – August 8, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – August 15, 2017
- In the Sky This Week – August 22, 2017
- In the Sky this Week – August 29, 2017
- In the Sky this Week – September 5, 2017
- In the Sky this Week – September 12, 2017
- In the Sky this Week- September 19, 2017
- In the Sky this Week- September 26, 2017
- In the Sky this Week- October 3, 2017
- In the Sky this Week- October 10, 2017
- In the Sky this Week- October 17, 2017